The government of Eritrea imposed a 21-day national lockdown as cases continued to rise steadily. The full lockdown and measures accompanying it was published on April 1 by the Ministry of Information. As of today, the tally stood at 22, the Ministry of Health confirmed. Meanwhile, the Ministry of Information reports about how the Eritrean diaspora are undertaking different measures to support the COVID-19 combat back home. One area that has been highlighted is the financial contributions which according to a pro-government outlet, Tesfanews had risen to over a million dollars. Key planks of the stay at home order issued by the High Level Task Force on COVID-19 included amongst others that:
Ethiopia and Eritrea signed an agreement at a summit in Saudi Arabia, bolstering an historic peace accord between the two former Horn of Africa enemies, officials said. Authorities did not reveal exact details of the new deal signed on Sunday in Jeddah, but sources close to the Saudi government said it would help strengthen the truce and enhance security in the wider region. Saudi King Salman hosted the signing ceremony which was also attended by his son, Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, and UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres. “The peace agreement between Ethiopia and Eritrea signed today in Jeddah is a historic event that will contribute to strengthening security and stability in the region,” Saudi Foreign Minister Adel al-Jubeir said. Ethiopia’s Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed and Eritrea’s President Isaias Afwerki signed a peace pact in July ending two decades of enmity sparked by a two-year border conflict which broke out in 1998. Two land border crossings between Ethiopia and Eritrea were reopened last Tuesday for the first time in 20 years, crowning a rapid reconciliation between the former bitter enemies.
Eritrea’s president announced Wednesday he is sending a rare delegation to neighboring Ethiopia for peace talks, days after Ethiopia’s new prime minister took a major step toward calming deadly tensions with its decades-long rival. This is the first such delegation since 1998, when a border war erupted between the countries and they cut off diplomatic relations. Eritrea’s President Isaias Afwerki noted “positive signals” in recent days from Ethiopia and said the delegation will “gauge current developments directly and in depth” to plan future steps. Ethiopia early this month made the surprise announcement that it will fully accept the terms of a peace agreement with Eritrea signed in 2000 to end the two-year border war that killed tens of thousands. The countries have skirmished a number of times since then. Ethiopia had refused to accept the deal’s handing to Eritrea of key locations, including the town of Badme, which it still holds. The decision to fully accept the peace deal was the biggest reform yet announced by Ethiopia’s young new Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed, who once fought in Badme. “The suffering on both sides is unspeakable because the peace process is deadlocked.