Surface Geology and Environmental Geochemistry
Study of weathering processes on rocks and minerals. Urban geochemistry. Environmental contamination and soil and water remediation. Mining activity and contamination. Hydro-geochemistry of underground and surface water resources. Biogeochemistry. Stable isotope geochemistry applied to solve environmental problems. Glacio-chemistry applied to paleoclimatology.
Professors : Ana Maria Pimentel Mizusaki, Antonio Pedro Viero, Ari Roisenberg, Jefferson Cardia Simões, Milton Luiz Laquintinie Formoso and Rommulo Vieira Conceição.
Minerals and Rocks Geochemistry
Geochemical cycle of elements. Analytical geochemistry. Crystallochemistry of minerals. Geochemical and petrogenetic characterization of minerals and rocks of volcanic, plutonic, metamorphic, sedimentary and metallic associations in tectonic environments. Investigation of evolutionary processes, magmatism sources, metamorphism parameters, origins and diagenesis.
Professors : André Sampaio Mexias, Ari Roisenberg, Carla Cristine Porcher, Carlos Augusto Sommer, Evandro Fernandes de Lima, Lauren da Cunha Duarte, Lauro Valentim Stoll Nardi, Leo Afraneo Hartmann, Luiz Fernando De Ros, Marcia Elisa Boscatto Gomes, Marcus Vinícius Dornelles Remus, Maria de Fátima Aparecida Saraiva Bitencourt, Norberto Dani, Rommulo Vieira Conceição, Ruth Hinrichs and Ruy Paulo Philipp.
Geochemistry and Organic Petrology
Origin of organic matter, kerogen formation, coal and oil genesis, oil shales. Basins types and organic facies. Coal basins classification. Oil migration and reservoirs formation. Analytical and geochemical data methods on the origin, genesis, composition and maturity of organic matter in oil and coal generating rocks.
Professor : Wolfgang Dieter Kalkreuth.
Study of hydrothermal alteration parameters of rocks and associated mineralization. Mineral deposit generation controls, with emphasis on radiogenic isotopes.
Professors : André Sampaio Mexias, Artur Cezar Bastos Neto, Evandro Fernandes de Lima, José Carlos Frantz, Juliana Charão Marques, Lauro Valentim Stoll Nardi, Leo Afraneo Hartmann, Marcus Vinicius Dornelles Remus, Milton Luiz Laquintinie Formoso and Ruy Paulo Philipp.
Geotectonics and Isotopic Geology
Analysis of tectonic and geodynamic evolution of orogenic belts and intra-plate associations. Structural analysis of belts, with emphasis on the determination of their kinematic pattern, geology and stratigraphy of pre-Cambrian volcanic, plutonic and high-grade metamorphic terrains. Use of isotopic data for petrological and metallogenetic studies, in the determination of rock ages and geological events, through geochronological methods and the establishment of the evolutionary history of Brazilian Shield, as well as volcanic and sedimentary plates.
Professors : Ana Maria Pimentel Mizusaki, Andrea Ritter Jelinek, Antonio Pedro Viero, Carla Cristine Porcher, Edinei Koester, José Carlos Frantz, Juliana Charão Marques, Lauro Valentim Stoll Nardi, Leo Afraneo Hartmann, Marcus Vinícius Dornelles Remus, Maria Fatima Aparecida Saraiva Bitencourt, Rommulo Vieira Conceição and Ruy Paulo Philipp.
Experimental Petrology and Geochemistry
Research line directed to experimental study under pressures compatible with the interior of the planet or its surface, focusing on : a) development of phase diagrams ; b) mineral stability ; c) determination of the partition coefficients of trace elements and their isotopes in aqueous / silicate or carbonatitic / mineral fluids systems ; d) endogenous cycle of volatile elements ; e) magma formation and fusion on lithospheric and sub-lithospheric mantles. The experiments are conducted in controlled CO, CO2, Ar or N2 atmosphere furnaces, which allow simulating temperatures up to 1800°C ; and in toroidal profile chambers or with multi-anvil system (Walker) coupled presses, which allow to simulate pressure conditions from 1GPa to 25GPa (from 30km to about 900km deep) and temperatures up to 2500°C.
Professor : Rommulo Vieira Conceição
- Material analysis. Ornamental and cladding rocks. Impedance spectroscopy, ionic conduction, high pressure, ceramics, analytical methods. Applied crystallochemistry ;
- Evaluation of distribution and quality of coals in Paraná Basin. Assessment of potential natural gas (methane) in coal layers in Paraná Basin. Biomass-coal co-combustion. Evaluation of petroleum generating rocks, by hydro-pyrolysis experiments ;
- Petroleum geology and geochemistry. Rocks potentials to generate petroleum hydrocarbons ;
- Geochemistry, tectonics and structural geology of metamorphic rocks. Geothermal barometry. P-T-t trajectories in orogenic belts ;
- Surface geochemistry. Alteration of rocks. Mineralogy of clay minerals. Analytical techniques of clay minerals study (XRD, SEM, LNLS) ;
- Sediment geochemistry. Origin and diagenesis of clay minerals in reservoir rocks, tectonics of sedimentary basins ;
- Isotopic geochemistry. Stable and radiogenic isotopes applied to geodynamic and environmental studies. Thermochronology by apatite fission traces and (U – Th) / He. Dating by Laser Ablation and TIMS ;
- Polar and Andean Glaciology. Glacial sedimentology. Global environmental changes. Quaternary Paleoclimatology ;
- Syntectonic magmatism, post-collisional magmatism and shear zones. Petrological-structural integrated study on syntectonic intrusions. P-T-t trajectories ;
- Metallogenesis, mineralogy and geochemistry of metallic mineral deposits. Hydrothermal systems. Alteration and mineralization of areas. Isotope geochemistry of mineralized areas. Mineralization of amethyst geodes and hydrothermalism in Serra Geral Group ;
- Mineral chemistry. Petrology and geochemistry of volcanic associations. Intrusive rock systems. Petrology and geochemistry of granitoid rocks. Magmatic modeling. Experimental petrology. Mantle, xenoliths and metasomatism studies. Magma rheology and structural geology of plutonic rocks ;
- Pollution in sediments, soils and water. Heavy metals. Geochemical barriers, geochemical landscapes. Geochemistry and health. Hydrogeology and hydro geochemistry. Application of stable isotopes in water systems ;