Psychological Assessment and Measures
This areacomprises projects aiming at developing or adapting assessment instruments for Psychology and related areas. The studies aim at producing validity and reliability evidence, as well as regional and national norms. The instruments arisen from the projects in this area support several other projects from different areas in the Program.
This research area comprises studies on developmental psychology with an evolutionary approach by the investigation of the processes involved in stability and change (cognitive, emotional, social, and behavioral) along time in the phenomenon of interest. It includes studies that show whether differences are found in samples including the relevant ages for the studied subject.
It comprises different contexts (family, school, clinic, work, and university), cultural aspects, social vulnerabilities, assessment and intervention methods, from pre-natal period to old age, as well as developmental aspects involved in psychiatric and neurologic disorders and physical health. It also investigates educational influences (family, school, university) on the developing subject.
Health, Prevention and Intervention
This area gathers psychological investigations toward prevention processes, health promotion and recovery in different settings. Subjects studied are well-being, quality of life, psychological adaptation/adjustment, health perceptions, adherence to treatments, as well as the study of symptoms, preparation and effects of medical/surgical interventions and indicators of health-related vulnerabilities. It attempts to bring together psychological, social and physical contributions to people’s health and well-being, including the creation and development of psychotherapeutic treatment, interventions and psychoeducation.
Cognitive and behavioral Neuroscience
This areacomprises projects which investigate neurocognitive and neurobehavioral systems related to basic psychological processes of sensation, perception, attention, memory, language, decision-making, emotion and consciousness. The theoretical and empirical bases include cognitive and behavioral neuroscience, psychophysiology, cognitive neuropsychology and experimental phenomenology.
The methodological approaches of the projects privilege experimental manipulations in cognitive and behavioral tasks and neuropsychological assessments. Studies in humans include healthy participants, as well as people with psychiatric and neurological disorders. Animal models are tested on behavioral and neuropsychopharmacological protocols. Psychophysiology, electroencephalography and neuroimaging data are used in combination with psychological instruments including first- and third-person measures. Clinical trials are performed in order to develop and assess protocols for prevention, therapy and health rehabilitation in general, with the use of innovation in information technologies.
The research conducted by faculty and research groups falls within certain areas. However there are no strict boundaries in how research activity and faculty are organized and there is often overlap and cross-over between areas. Faculty and research groups work in collaboration with colleagues from other disciplines across UFRGS, and from other national and international institutions. Professors tend to work across two or more research areas, providing common approaches to different research questions.
in Cognition Lab (Biosig)
• Laboratory of Content Analysis and Speech (LACODI)
• Laboratory of Experimental Phenomenology and Cognition (LaFEC)
• Laboratory of Experimental Psychology, Neuroscience and Behavior (LPNeC)
• Laboratory of Interactive Processes Observation (LOPI)
• Laboratory of Measurement
• Laboratory of Psychology and Genetic Epistemology (LAPEGE)
• Laboratory of Sound and Image Editing (LESI)
Research and Intervention Unit (NEIC)
• Center for Studies in Psychological and Psychopathological Assessment (NEAPP)
• Center for Study and Research in Adolescence (NEPA)
• Center for Study on Positive Psychology (NEPP)
• Center for the Psychological Study on At Risk Populations (CEP-RUA)
• Child and Family Unit (NUDIF)
• Cognitive Neuropsychology Research Center (NEUROCOG)
• Community Psychology Research Group (GPPC)
• Group of Study, Practice and Research in Psychological Assessment (GEAPAP)
• Research Center of Developmental Disorders (NIEPED)
• Research Group of Family Studies
• Research Group on Health Psychology
• Neuropsychology Outpatient Clinic
• Psychological Assessment Center – Centro de Avaliação Psicológica (CAP)
• Student Support Unit – Núcleo de Apoio ao Estudante (NAE)
• Career Counseling Center – Serviço de Orientação Profissional (SOP)